Monday, January 24, 2011

Dryer Balls


I love working with my hands and creating! Creating helps me clear my mind of the stresses in life. Sometimes I find that creating something somewhat mindless helps release my emotions while keeping my hands busy.




This weekend, I opened a box of yarn that I had spun and might not use to knit something. What to do with it all? Then the phone rang and I learned that a friends mother had just died. Even though we may know death is coming, when it actually happens and is final, there is no preparation.
My heart ached for her and reminded me of my own mother's passing less than a year ago. I still grieve, miss her and it all comes in waves. I needed something mindless to do that might also mend my heart and calm my emotions.

I opened the box of yarn and began to roll the skeins into balls. Each skein made a ball about the size of a baseball. Rolling yarn into balls is a totally mindless activity and just what I needed! In a very short time, I had over 20 balls of yarn. My emotions of grief and sadness turned to delight when I looked at the basket of colorful yarn balls in front of me! Now what?

I was inspired that my sadness and grief had turned to delight in the process of creating. Since I've been nearly obsessive about felting in these last weeks, I've decided to felt the balls of yarn.

Now, I have a collection of felted balls of yarn ~ great for dryer balls!

Instead of using dryer sheets that break down fiber & fabric over time, dryer balls made from yarn do the same thing while saving both clothing and money.

I continue to be inspired by ways to use what I have around the house to create functional and fun things, saving money, being eco-friendly and having fun all while I process life's events! Whenever I make something new, I remember my mother and know I am carrying on her memory, her legacy and all she taught me throughout my life. I like that and feel satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment