Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chasing Owls

In the last month, I have been blessed with a gathering of owls in and around my woodland neighborhood. I am in awe of these creatures and grateful that I've been close enough to feel their presence and allowed to take their photographs. Indeed, I feel they have given me permission to photograph them. I spend many hours in the woods and rarely have I been able to be close enough to an owl to capture their beauty on my camera!

Though I do know that it is their mating season which explains their presence, I have also been reading of their symbology in a number of native traditions and truly feel they have been gathering around me - them, for a teaching moment, and me, for a learning and remembering moment. I have always believed that nature is my greatest teacher of life and these owls are no exception.

After my most recent encounter, I am convinced that the Owl is my newest totem and one I wish to take within and embody. Wisdom, quiet listening, patience, silence and grace. All of these are qualities I wish to develop more within myself as well as acknowledge where these qualities already express themselves in my life.

This owl watched as I shoveled snow during the last snow storm. I was frustrated that the storm prevented me from my plans for the day and was running quite the dialogue in my mind when suddenly there was a moment of sensing. I looked up and there sat the owl as if patiently waiting for me to quiet my mind enough to feel its presence. My response was to stop, listen and laugh as I was then aware of my racing thought process and this owl was simply witnessing, waiting and watching.

When the owl finally decided to move on, I witnessed an awesome experience - the effortless flight of an owl through the woods. She seemed to slowly lean forward, outstretch her wings and with barely a movement of her wings, she silently glided through the air with such grace, my breath was paused as I could feel the gliding within myself!

In Native Americn tradition, owls are known as those with silent feathers. After a month of noticing these majestic creatures in flight, I agree. When walking in the woods, it is not hearing them flying by but sensing them flying by that leads my attention in their direction. When they land on a branch they are so still and blend in to their environment so fully that it takes a seeing without looking to notice they are there. Thank you Owl Totem for reminding me the value of stillness in my life, the sensing without hearing and the seeing without looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment